Thursday 14 June 2012

Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese



My first friend ever, and the best friend I have ever had is my sister Cindy. When she was born and my mother brought her home from the hospital, I told my mother to take her back. I wasn't quite sure if I wanted this little bundle of squalling humanity in my sphere of existance. My mother calmly agreed . . . although . . . she warned me that she would have to go with her because the baby was too tiny to look after itself. I gave this some thought and then decided that the baby could stay. The thought of having to live permanently without my mother was not one I wanted to embrace!!

That was the beginning of a lovely relationship and friendship that has been one of the most blessed and beautiful parts of my life. My sister has been my rock and my friend . . . sometimes my sole supporter and fan . . . sometimes my angst . . . but one thing never changes.

Our deep love and respect for one another.

We've shared many things through the years besides a common history . . . crafts, bird watching, giggles and laughs . . . and recipes.

This is one that she gave me many moons ago . . . a real favourite from inside the pages of my Big Blue Binder. Thanks sis!




Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

I got this recipe from my sister a long time ago, and yes, it too comes from my big blue binder. I'm not sure where she got it from, but I am sure it's delicious! Whenever I make it, I picture her in my mind . . . standing at her stove and stirring it up the very first time she showed me how to make it. I guess that's what makes the recipes in my blue binder all the more special . . . each one has a particular memory attached, a person, a feeling . . .

8 ounces of uncooked macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 eggs, beaten
6 ounces evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
If you want to make it lower in fat, use the low fat version
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 teaspoon sea salt, rubbed between your fingers
freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
10 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (I use a combination of mature cheddar and leicester cheese)

Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook your macaroni in this until just al dente, according to the package directions. Drain well, then return to the pot. Add the butter and toss the macaroni well in it to coat. In a large beaker, whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the hot pasta, and add the cheese. Turn the heat to low, and continue to stir and cook until cheese is melted and mixture is creamy. Serve.



I sure hope you will enjoy this old family favourite as much as we do!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, this looks amazing, I have never tried making mac and cheese with eggs but my daughter does and she said its the best, she used Paula Dean's recipe, you know that southern tv cook.Thanks Maire for sharing the big blue binder!!!