Tuesday 19 June 2012

Old Fashioned Tomato Bake



A great love of mine has always been Tomatoes. I think I get it from my mother. She has a tomato sandwich every day for lunch, I kid you not! Rain or shine . . . no matter the time of year. A lot of people would think that in the winter months the tomatoes that you buy in the shops are not suitable for a tomato sandwich . . . and they wouldn't be if you used them right when you get them home from the store . . . but leave them on the counter for a few days and something magical happens . . .

They ripen, soften up and the flavour improves considerably. Still not quite as good as in the summer months . . . but not bad either.



One thing I always, ALWAYS have an abundance of in my larder are chopped Italian Tomatoes in tomato juice. I either have them in these nice tetra packs (easy for storage) or in tins . . . both are equally as good. Italians have the best tomatoes don't you think??

I have always thought if you had tinned tomatoes . . . you have a meal. I have been known to eat them in the summer time, cold from having been chilled in the fridge with nothing but salt and pepper and a slice of buttered white bread. To me this is heaven on earth . . .

But they are also great for a lot of other things . . . casseroles, soups, sauces . . .



Fabulous dishes like this beautiful "Old Fashioned Tomato Bake!" This is a recipe that I have had for yonks and yonks in my Big Blue binder, copied out from somewhere ages ago . . . from the first time I saw it, it appealed to me.

It may not be pretty. It may be quite simple. It may not use fancy ingredients. It may be easy to make. But don't let the simplicity of it all fool you into thinking it's not special . . .



It IS delicious . . . especially if you are like me and are nuts about tomatoes! I have made this so many times through the years and I could easily eat the whole casserole each time I make it. I have adapted it somewhat through time . . . adding a bit of this and a bit of that . . . but basically it has not strayed too far from the original recipe.

My additions are some garlic, a bit more basil, some lovely sweet Balsamic vinegar . . . and sometimes a few handfuls of cheese . . . coz . . .

Tomatoes and Cheese are a marriage made in heaven.



Made from stale bread, a tin of tomatoes, some onions and not much else . . . truth be known . . . this recipe is a fabulous testimony to the fact that simple things are quite often THE very best of all things.



Old Fashioned Tomato Bake
Serves 8
Printable Recipe

This may be an old fashioned recipe, but there's nothing old fashioned about the flavour!

1/2 of a 14-inch loaf of Italian bread
4 TBS butter (I use half this amount)
1/4 tsp of basil flakes (I favour the Bart, freeze dried ones)
2 TBS oil (I use Pam nonfat spray)
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 28-ounce tin of chopped tomatoes in juice
1 1/2 tsp of sugar
(my own additions are more basil flakes, fine seasalt, a good grinding of black pepper, some garlic powder, 1 TBS of good balsamic vinegar)

Cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the basil flakes, some salt, some garlic powder and a good grinding of black pepper. heat until the butter begins to foam, and then add the bread cubes. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the bread is golden brown. Tip out into a glass bowl and set aside. Add the tinned tomatoes, sugar, basil flakes to taste, 1/2 tsp of salt, another good grinding of black pepper, some more garlic powder and the Balsamic vinegar. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes, until a bit reduced.

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Layer the bread and tomatoes in a casserole dish, layering first tomatoes, then bread, then tomatoes and finally bread. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until hot and bubbling. Serve hot.

Note: Sometimes I add layers of cheese to this. It all depends on how I am feeling. A few handfuls of grated sharp cheddar cheese will do the trick nicely.





1 comment:

La Table De Nana said...

looks like a winner:)